Music Director for The Copley Singers
The Copley Singers, a Boston-based, semi-professional SATB chorus, is currently seeking candidates for their new Director of Music. The new director’s first events will be our annual holiday concerts, which are performed in churches and private clubs during the month of December.
The group rehearses only as needed to prepare for a concert, wedding or memorial service. Typical concert rosters range from 16-32 singers, and the group receives their practice music a week or two before a concert or rehearsal. The group has a significant amount of core repertoire, which allows them to deliver high quality programs with limited rehearsal, resulting in wonderful experiences for both the singers and the audiences.
- Develop programming for choral concerts, including annual holiday concerts, using a mix of new recommendations and the existing music library.
- Conduct the Copley Singers in all concerts and rehearsals, including organ and piano accompanists and other instrumentalists as needed.
- Collaborate with the Copley Singers board and group leadership to develop new performance opportunities that build the group’s reputation and impact.
Experience and Qualifications:
- Five or more years of experience conducting professional caliber choirs.
- Significant experience leading groups in traditional and classical choral music, as well as the American Songbook and musical theater repertoire.
- Proven ability to inspire and lead musicians to deliver high quality performances that create emotional connections with audiences.
To Apply for this Position:
Please submit a cover letter that includes a personal statement, resume, and the names and contact information for two or three references. Email these items to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: New inquiries will be considered until May 12th.
Start Date: September 2019
The Copley Singers – Some Background:
Founded in 2008, The Copley Singers are an acclaimed group of amateur and professional vocal musicians who have performed throughout the northeastern US. Many members are past or present singers at Trinity Church Copley Square, The Tanglewood Festival Chorus, and other high-quality Boston-based choirs. They were invited to sing with the Ensemble Singers of Bermuda in 2009 for a 400th anniversary celebration of the Island’s founding. In September 2011, the group was invited to represent Massachusetts at the commemorative tenth anniversary 9/11 concert at Trinity Church, Wall Street, NYC. In April of 2013, after the Boston Marathon bombings, the group was invited to sing for the Boston Prayer Service at Holy Cross Cathedral, in the presence of President and Mrs. Obama. They have also recorded a Christmas CD on the Gothic label, “I Wonder as I Wander”, which has received excellent reviews. For more information, please visit www.copleysingers.org.
Brian Jones, the group’s founding director, was Director of Music at Trinity Church in Boston for 20 years. Under his leadership, The Copley SIngers have become accustomed to performing at a very high standard, which is informed by their great love of choral singing and repertoire, and their belief in its communicative and healing power. Brian will be gradually transitioning to the role of Director Emeritus starting in 2019, and continuing in a supportive role.